Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Something Unexpected

When I first met Darryl he did not read books. If he did read books they would be for learning but not for pleasure.

One day we were headed back to Ontario and Darryl bought a book to read on the plane (this was a time when there was no TV's in the seat back of West Jet flights). It was the Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. That book changed how Darryl felt about reading. Every spare moment of the vacation was spent reading the Hobbit. What would happen to Frodo and would Gollum trick him???

This evening Darryl has read for 3 hours. When he gets a book he likes it takes over all his spare time. I'm sure this will continue for the next week till he finishes this book. The same thing happened with The Hobbit and the rest of the Lord of the Rings series and the Harry Potter series of books. The current book is called Eragon and it seems to be quite popular and as I'm sure Darryl will agree with it's popularity as he seems to be quite enjoying it. Feel free to comment Darryl, are there any books I'm forgetting?

This has been a great side of Darryl that I didn't see when we were younger. It's great to be continually surprised in marriage with things unexpected.



Till Tommorrow

Jenn

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It doesn't matter when in our lives we discover reading...only that we do. It would be a terrible shame to miss out on such a wonderful and exciting way to spend some of your spare time.

I don't read as often as I'd like to but when I do, life comes to a grinding halt until the book is finished. I've been known to start a book while curled up in bed on a Sunday morning after sleeping until 10 or 11am and being done in plenty of time to cook supper!

You just can't beat a good book!

Lori

Anonymous said...

Other books? I think there are a few more but you've got the majority of them. Others would be Snow Crash, Blue Nowhere, Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, the Witch and the wardrobe.

As you can see I'm into the Sci-Fi/Fantasy types of books. Any recommendations out there?

I'm looking at Infoquake by David Edelman next and maybe pre-ordering the next book in the Eragon series.

Another thing about me is I have to keep all of the books that I read. I'll loan them out but I like them back. I think it's a sense of accomplishment thing to be able to see the bookshelf with all the books I've read.

Anonymous said...

wow 3 hours youve converted him :)
good books too :)

Anonymous said...

cool that Darryl commented too
and Im like him I like to keep the books I read
Muzz reckons I have a library