Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Baby Day

At some point Darryl and I would like to have more children. I loved having a sibling and ideally would love to have a big family, but two would fine as well. As Lucas is getting older there has been some discussion on how soon we should wait until we have the next one. There is no final answer on that but I did lots of patients today that made me think of it.

First I was off to the hospital to work with our junior students. We performed about 10 hysterosalpingograms, which is a test where they look at a woman uterus and fallopian tubes with x-ray contrast. 95% of the reason these woman have this test is because they are having difficulty getting pregnant. There were some who have never had children, but others who had no problem getting pregnant the first time but are having lots of trouble now. Working in healthcare can certainly put fears in your head. What if I have trouble getting pregnant again? I am so greatful for Lucas but what if it takes years to have another. It also makes me realize what a gift a child is.

After working with adults doing hystero's, I head over to the Children's hospital to work with the junior students there. Again it was interesting to be around lots of babies, even though so many of them are sick, but so reslient. It did put lots of thoughts in my head about babies and when do I want to subject myself to all the difficulites of having a newborn around..... Lack of sleep, sharing my time between a new baby and Lucas. When will it be good for Lucas.....

Hopefully I won't be staring at the ceiling thinking about this all night. For other mothers out there, do you know when the right time is, or is there never a right time? What age was your older child and how did they adapt?

Till Tommorrow

Jenn

4 comments:

Kristine said...

Jenn,

My sister is now pregnant with their second one and their situation seems to make sense. She has a son that is now 3 years old and she will be giving birth in June of this year to baby number 2. The good thing about having a 3 year old is that they are so much more helpful and seem to understand what's going on.

I'm sure there's probably never a perfect time to have another one though...babies just seem to 'happen' sometimes :)

take care!
K

Lesley said...

Well I can only relate my own situation to you so here goes...
I had some problematic paps done over several years and was worried about cervical cancer, hysterectomies....so we decided to have kids sooner than later, closer in age rather than far apart.
The boys are 20 months apart and it's got definite ups and downs.
The biggest upside is the shared interests. Both boys were into Baby Einstein at the same time and generally enjoy the same activities (except skating).
The biggest downside would be routines get thrown out of whack. If you don't get a good night's sleep with your newborn you can't make up for it by sleeping in when you have Lucas awake and ready to play for the day.
Kristine's right, there's probably never a perfect time. I'm sure things would be wonderful either way!

Allie said...

The timing will be right when your inner voice tells you so. For me, I always knew that I wanted two children and I hoped that they would be close together. After a ridiculously easy conception and pregnancy with my son (aside from his prematurity), we still naively thought that family life was a breeze. But that all changed with our first miscarriage after my son. We experienced 3 and got to that point between panic and devastation: did we wait too long to have our precious children? Will we be able to have anymore?

All of a sudden, getting baby #2 seemed like an unachievable dream. For us, we have been blessed with easy conception, it is just the pregnancies that don't do well.

Luckily though, we have been blessed and as you know are expecting #2 anytime over the next 9 weeks. There will be 2 1/2 years between the two of them and my son is already becoming actively involved with this pregnancy and getting things ready for the baby to come home.

I was lucky with my son as he was a great baby and I am one of those people that don't need a lot of sleep so my experiences with him and the late nights were never a problem. I will be sure to let you know if it is a shocker for me upon the arrival of this baby. But personally, we have come so far for this baby that I have promised myself that I would never find the bad in any late nights or difficult days. I just feel so blessed to finally be having another baby.

You are a good mom and from reading your blog a strong woman. I think that should you decide to have another child in the near future, that you will do just fine.

Anonymous said...

there was 3 years between my older too. Sarah would have coped better but Billys father was an idoit who cause sibling rilvary before she was even born.
Theres 10 years bewteen Billy and Daniel and the boys absolutely adore one another.
I dont think i want another one im getting too old and I want to start my career.
Muzz would love more though.