Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad

Today is my Mom and Dad's 25th Wedding anniversary. We had them over for dinner the other night to celebrate and gave them a bottle of port to open after their next 25 years of marriage. When I went into the wine store to buy this bottle of port and told the retailer my story he commented on what a great achievement as many people do not make it to 25 years married. I certainly agree with him. With the divorce rate being so high it is a rarity in today’s day and age. So after dinner I asked them what it takes to make a marriage work for 25 years. Here's what they said works for them.

Their top thing was they were friends. They had many of the same interests, not everything in common but they genuinely enjoyed each other’s company and enjoy similar activities. They take golf trips in the summer and ski trips in the winter. They both love to shop for good deals and gamble their money in Las Vegas. They enjoy each other’s company and want that company around for many years to come.



The next thing they mentioned was growing together. I am proud to say that when my sister and I graduated from highschool and started college, my parents started university. At some point they both quit their jobs to pursue their university degrees. They always grew together and supported each other.

Last but not least the big thing they mentioned was communication. They talked about how mom never told Dad to quit a job, she may have hinted at it, but mostly just let him talk till he came to the right decision about it. They talked about how they love to laugh together and how humor often helped them get through things. Marriage is a lot of work (and I'm sure I caused lots of the work), but they chose to work at it and have realistic expectations about marriage and know that there will be ups and downs, you just have to communicate your way through them.


It was a great evening for me, great to hear about fun times at Grey Rocks. Fun times we had as kids going to Ontario place or the base ball games. It's fun to recall all the fun times we've had in life and what those things have taught us. They have been a great example for me on marriage, love and perseverance. They taught my sister and I how to behave as people and how to have fun. They taught us that education is so important but so is going on vacation.

I love you Mom and Dad. Happy Anniversary!

Jenn

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice words. We are very lucky to have two such great daughters to make our lives so much richer. Thank you both for all you have done.

Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary to your mum and dad

Anonymous said...

Just so you are aware.
I don't think the port will make it for another 25 years.
So pretend it is the best port you ever tasted when it is filled with some that we have made ourselves and you get a taste in 25 years.
unknown author