Thursday, January 18, 2007

Emma's Territory

I am not a very good mother. I mean I try to have rules for my kids and dogs, but I don't have very many. I am quite leanant on Emma and her wearing a leash. Espeically on our street. Everyday we walk back and forth to the end of the street where the park is. She always stick with me, although usually a few paces ahead. She rarely runs away and if a rabbit runs and Emma feels the need to chase her, Emma will always come back. Usually I'll find her sitting on the front porch after I've been wandering streets. She generally stays away from cars as she is quite scared of them after her adventure trying to cross Deerfoot Trail (a highway here in Calgary) so I quite trust Emma to walk off leash as we head up to the park for our daily romp.

It seems though becuase Emma gets to roam free on the street she now thinks it's her territory, so when she sees other dogs on the street it makes her unhappy. Most of the time she just runs by them, but today one wanted to stop and play. Of course it was a puppy and I had to oogle over it, but the puppy wanted to play with Emma. Of course Emma would have none of that so she growled and nipped at the dog. I guess it's like a younger sibling who is bothering you and you want them to stop. Just in dog language it comes in the form of a growl and nip. Emma is around dogs fairly often, we take her to dog parks once a week. She use to go to doggy day care a couple times a week and we never heard of any problems with it. She also has her best doggy friends. Maybe she is getting grouchy in her old age.

I guess I am going to have to start to enforce a new leash rule. I am just not a strict mom....


Edit To Add: The puppy was just fine. Didn't even yelp and still wanted to play with Emma
Till Tommorrow

Jenn

2 comments:

Kristine said...

Jenn, don't ever ever forget that you are a GOOD Mom!!! I've met Emma a few times over the years and I know how much of a great, well behaved dog she is. I always wish that my dogs were like Emma because you and Darryl have done such a great job with her. I'm sure she was just being over protective. Cassy gets the same way with other dogs everytime we are out walking around. So please don't feel bad. At least she didn't nip a person and hope the puppy is okay.

Anonymous said...

Take heart, we all run into this situation with our dogs eventually.

Hunter is the eager puppy who thinks that everyone MUST want to play with him and he gets his feelings hurt when other dogs tell him to scram (so to speak).

Casey has never had much exposure to other dogs (until Hunter came along) so he usually doesn't pay much attention to them but since he's been sick, he's been nippy with us and with visitors occaisionally. It seems that with all of the vet visits, doses of yucky-tasting medicine and having his ears cleaned constantly, he just doesn't trust anymore that when a person comes near him, that their intentions are genuine and kind.

Needless to say, Casey is now leashed when we have visitors. It doesn't seem to bother him though...it's as though he seems to think "thank goodness, when I wear my leash it must mean that Mommy and Daddy will protect me from these people in my house!".

Let's face it...our dogs are just like our kids. Sometimes we have to protect them from the world and sometimes we have to protect the world from them!

Keep up the great work with all of your "kids" (human, feline AND canine)!

Lori