Tuesday, June 13, 2006

The end of a baking era

Well my father's day shopping is all done. Not only for my father but also for Lucas's. It's a little hard to buy for my dad. Like most adults he basically has everything he needs and if there is something he wants he can go out a purchase it. Plus I was looking for something from Lucas. For women you can always go with an old standby of a spa gift certificate.

While I was out I also picked up some things for me. I have been shopping alot lately. It's like last year at this time I had to buy maternity clothes so I need two years worth of normal shopping put into one. =)

Well this morning I made my rhubarb cake. It is quite a good recipie for those of you grow rhubarb in your back yards. http://cake.allrecipes.com/az/RhubarbStirCake.asp But as I was making it I ran out of flour. ( I ran next door to my baker neighboor and she had lots.) Anyway I have had the same 22 pound bag of flour for more the 5 years. Basically since I've lived in Calgary. Now I can just imagine some of you cringing at this, but I've served most of you things from this flour and you haven't died. That flour had been with me longer then most of our furniture, our house, our child and I think I had it before Darryl moved out here. Think of all the things I have made with that flour pie on our first Thanksgiving in this house, hundreds of Christmas cookies...... now I'm having trouble thinking of anything else. Maybe that's why it has lasted almost 7 years.

Anyway things continue to be good with Lucas. He started dancing today. It was a mix between Elvis shaking his hips and what I imagine it would be like if he was electrocuted. Very cute and made me laugh histerically. My computer is still on the fritz, so no pics or video yet.

Till Tommorrow

Jenn

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

if the sun continues to shine the computer may get fixed.
I could also bring over some WHole Wheat Flour?
Dad

Anonymous said...

Whole wheat flour is a must! I usually substitute whole wheat flour for 1/2(or even 3/4) of the flour in almost everything I bake and Mackenzie usually doesn't even notice! Even the banana bread recipe that I've been eating since I was a child was great made entirely with whole wheat flour!

On another note...Jenn, I think that was just about THE funniest blog entry you have ever produced. Between laughing at the fact that you've fed everyone with 7 year old flour and picturing Lucas's new dance moves I couldn't stop laughing!

Gosh I LOVE the blog!!!

Love,
Lori

Kristine said...

that is sooo funny about your flour....I was thinking...hey, she made me her awesome banana loaf with that!!! oh well, it tasted great and yes I'm still alive :)

I'll tell Mark to get on the book for sure.

let me know whenever you plan on stopping by DS again sometime Jenn...I will make sure Micah and I are in the neighborhood (well, I only live 2 blocks away anyway)

take care,
Kristine