Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Rock Hard

One of the good habits I've started in the last year is to donate more money to charity. I have chose a few charities to give money to and say yes every time they phone or send a letter. This comes with many advantages. One is that many charities send stickers. Lucas is at an age where he is starting to love stickers. The more colorful the better. But even if they have my name attached to them that is great. The best stickers we have gotten is from one charity I donate to Stars Air Ambulance. I work with alot of the people with Stars, and am amazed at their commitment, so it's something I donate to. This year they gave stickers with helicopters on it. Lucas loves them as they are better then the flower stickers the Heart and Stoke Foundation gives.

Today I got a request in the mail for the Firefighters Burn Unit at the Foothills Hospital. This is another charity I fell strongly about because as a child I spent time in a burn unit. I'm sure I benefited greatly from the care and the medicine provided on that unit.

Later this evening the door bell rang, which made Emma bark, and I'm sure the person at the door say "oh crap". Lucas and I answered the door and there was a kid who proceeded to tell us about the Treehouse Foundation, which gives toys, books etc. to underprivileged kids in the city. They were selling cookies, which is one of my weakness. So for 12 dollars I bought a book of cookies, thinking more of the cause rather then the price. I am now cuddled up with my cup of tea and had two of these cookies and they are ROCK HARD, I feel kind of annoyed. 12 dollars for cookies and they are not even good. Oh well, think of the toys for kids.

The last new charity thing I have heard of recently that I wanted to mention was World Vison. I'm sure you've all seen the half and hour shows with Alex Trebek and the poor children, but I thought there new idea is a great one. You can buy sheep or chickens or medical supplies or lots of other things for families in Africa. You can do this for Christmas or at anytime of the year.

Till Tomorrow

Jenn

3 comments:

Kristine said...

You can always dip your cookies in your tea to make them soft :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenn,

Mom and Brian donate to World Vision each year and they showed us a catalogue of items you can purchase for families in 3rd world countries to allow them to provide food for their families and additional food or products that they can sell at market to support themselves. It was really cool! You can buy pigs, goats, cows, rabbits (they multiply fast, are easy to raise and provide good meat) sheep, chickens, etc. You could even go so far as to buy small farm equipment, stables, school supplies (or the actual school itself) and much, much more. I was very surprised to read the descriptions of how much benefit each of the item provides and the costs to buy/donate these items was reasonable in my opinion.

You can even buy/donate these items in someone else's name. A great philanthropic gift giving idea for Christmas!

Everybody should check it out. Even if you don't purchase any of the items, it's an excellent learning experience.

Take care,
Lori

Anonymous said...

Hey
I donated the $12 for a box of cookies too but after opening the box and seeing them, I threw them away...So I still feel ok about the donation and my waistline...
Tammy