Thursday, October 19, 2006

Girls

My whole pregnancy I was hoping for a girl. I am a girl I know about girls, I had a sister. All signs pointed to me having a boy, so I was ready for that, but I thought I would feel more comfortable having a girl. I played Barbies and dress up as a girl, not cars and GI Joes. Now that it is a year later I know all about cars, tractors and construction equipment. I know the difference between a bobcat and a front end loader. A dump truck and tractor. Although it's not Barbies, I have learned alot.

Now I am glad I had a boy. I mean now that I have a child I know it really doesn't matter, you love them with your whole body. But in the past year I've had lots of opportunity to watch Oprah and learn about how hard it is to raise girls. I've read blogs about mothers not wanting to praise their girls about being beautiful, so they don't think beauty is everything. Although I am sure there are some self esteem issues with boys, it doesn't seem to be as big of a deal as self esteem with girls.

Here is an example of how society is trying to repair girls self esteem.



To those of you who have girls is it or was it hard to raise them? Does dressing them in beautiful clothes make it all worth it. If there are more children in my future they may be girls, and I'm not sure if it will be easy to do it right.

Till Tommorrow and more walking walking from Lucas.

Jenn

2 comments:

Allie said...

Goodness Jenn, you have certainly put thoughts into my head now.

Throughout my whole pregnancy with my son, I was really hoping that he would be a boy. Despite having a sister who could practically be labelled a twin, I wanted a boy because I felt that I would be able to relate to them better seeing as I had been boy crazy my whole life. We are now expecting baby #2 come the end of February and the ultrasound technician claims that it is a girl. Again, I was kind of hoping for another boy, just to have that sibling bonding, but my husband is absolutely estatic that it is a girl.

While I am not disappointed, I did have immediate fear. Fear that I wouldn't know how to parent a girl. Now after reading your post, wow ... I could be in serious trouble. :)

Anonymous said...

boys are cool
I like Oprah too