Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Obsession

When I was a teenager I did not really get "obsessed" with anything. There was no band imparticular, no pair of jeans, no famous person. I did not have pictures of the Backstreet Boys or Kirk Cameron hanging on my wall. I did not walk around with the latest leg warmers on. When I was in highschool, grunge was in and although I listened to alot of gruge music the style was more to look homeless then cool. So I was never really obsessed with any sort of clothing.

I guess this is one of the things I am making up for now that I am older (this and drinking). I am crazy about the Barenaked Ladies. They just put out a brand new album. Barenaked Ladies are Me and I listen to it all the time. Just today I listened to it 3 times. 3 TIMES!! I feel like I am obsessed. Just when I start to get disgusted with myself I start humming the tune for "Sound of Your Voice" or "Bank Job" in my head. Then I put it on and Lucas and I dance around. Speaking of that, one of the great things about this album is that it has lots of rock, which Lucas loves to dance to, so it's an album we both enjoy. For your listening pleasure I thought I would let you know my favorite songs from the album, so you could download them and see what you think.



1. Maybe Your Right: A song about the War in Iraq. Starts of quiet and builds. At the end it's loud with horns and there are three different parts all being sung at the same time. Steven Page at his best.

2. Bank Job: This song has risen in my favorites. It's started lower but is making a big rise. It's a song about A bank robbery gone wrong when the back is filled with nuns. A great course that is so easy to get stuck in your head, plus funny lines, that make you smile i.e. They looked like zebras, that had us confused. =)

3. Sound of Your Voice: A tribute to Queen, so if you like Queen defintly get this song. It is a great song.

4. Wind it Up: Hands down Lucas's favorite song from this album. It has awesome guitar which makes you bob your head or get up and dance.

5. Why Say Anything Nice: Such a great first line for a song (although it doesn't beat Dave Matthews line: You cannot quit me so quickly) Why'd you put your dance shoes on if you didn't come to dance. Again an upbeat fun shake your money maker kind of song.

6. A tie: Peterbourgh and the Kawartha and Take It Back. Two slower songs. Peterbough and the Kawarthas is done by Kevin, who plays the bass. He has a great voice and it's a good song. Take it Back has beautiful piano.

Anyway, if you have never heard BNL, I highly recommend giving them a try. Great, fun, witty music. I think I'll play one of the these songs now.

Till Tommorrow

Jenn

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenn...I haven't bought the album yet, but after your recommendation I'll be sure to do so. We've got tickets to see them at our John Labatt Centre in February 2007. We've never seen them in concert before and I can hardly wait.
I'm obessessed with the guitar part for their first single off the album...Easy. I can't find the guitar tab for it ANYWHERE and it's driving me nuts. It must be because this is an independant album. If you happen to find where I can buy the guitar sheet music for Easy in your travels on the internet, please let me know.

Love ya!
Lori

kate said...

hey! thanks for peeping in on my blog. it was helpful to hear other parents perspectives.

i WAS really into band and music as a teen and still am. never found my way into BNL, but thanks for the tip. maybe the new album will spark for me!