Thursday, November 01, 2007

Baby Names

I personally think one of the hardest things about being pregnant is trying to chose a name for the new person coming into the world. With Lucas it took us forever to pick a name. We made lists nad lists and lists. We had about 3 names when I went into labor and Lucas wasn't even on the list 2 weeks prior.

Last night Darryl and I were taking about names in bed. I can tell it's going to be another long, drawn out decision. My sister suggested the name Ruby, which is good. Darryl figured out a couple of ways to make fun of it, so that name is off the list......

Yesterday I was at a meeting with a friend of mine that is 3 days more pregnant then I am. She already knows that the baby is a girl and they have given her a name. Holy Crap, I say.

It is National Blog Posting Month It is a "blog" thing, where people post everyday in the month of November. I usually post everyday but take the weekends off. So for the national posting month, I'll be posting some baby name polls and you can help through the long drawn out process.....

What about you was it easy to pick your kids names?

Till Tomorrow

Jenn

6 comments:

Lori Aitken said...

We had a brutal time picking baby names, too. We had two boys names picked out (Noah William Macutcheon Campbell or Mackenzie Thomas Campbell). The first choice included Ian's grandfather's name (William) and my grandfather's middle name (Macutcheon). Mackenzie Thomas had no significance as far as family history was concerned but we like that it was a Scottish name. We both have Scottish lines in our family histories.
We didn't have a single girl's name picked out at all. Most of the girls names that I loved had something that bothered Ian. I liked Morgan (he could only think of Morgan Freeman and Morgan Fairchild) or Sydney (he could only think of Sydney Poitier). Ultimately we chose our second choice for a boy, used it for a girl and found a middle name that sounded good with it and that we could both agree on.
It wasn't scientific or sentimental and it didn't have any specific meaning (other than it's Scottish), it simply boiled down to picking a name that didn't conjure up some sort of wacky childhood memory or bring some crazy celebrity to mind.

I know that's not much help...but that's how it worked out for us.

Good luck!

Alexis said...

oh, that Darryl...he makes fun of everything!! (Just like me i guess, haha!!)

Psychomom said...

"picking a name that didn't conjure up some sort of wacky childhood memory or bring some crazy celebrity"

Yep, that's why my son is Lucas too. (NaBloPoMo Randomiser)

Allie said...

We picked out a few names for both kids but never used those names to talk to the baby when he/she was still in my belly. For both kids, we chose names that we liked and would used regardless of what the sex turned out to be. However, when it came time to sit down and do the hospital paperwork, we found ourselves still tossing around names and then going back to the original ones that we liked.

What exciting times though! I loved the whole anticipation of choosing a name(s).

Lesley said...

Joseph Thomas is made up of my dad's first name and Aaron's dad's first name even though Brian uses his middle name. Did that make sense?
And
Alexander Jacob were just two names we liked out of a baby book.

We did shoot for names that could have lots of nicknames or that could go by their intials - JT & AJ.


We still have Katherine Elizabeth and Hunter MacAulay or MacAulay Hunter on hold in case we decide for a third...

sari said...

With our first, we had a name when I was about three months along.

With our second, we named him the night after he was born, our oldest son picked the name.

This time, we had a name but we all agreed we wanted to see the baby before we "named" him - but we went with the name we had chosen. It did take the full nine months to come up with it, though!!