Friday, November 30, 2007

A Sad and Happy Day

Even as I start to write this post I feel tears welling up in my eyes. It's so strange that I'm still so emotional about it, maybe it's the pregnancy hormones or maybe it's normal.

Yesterday we handed over the keys for the old house. The happy and good part of it is we gave the house to good people. People who I would be friends with and people who have a child and a dog and will enjoy the house as much as we did.

The sad part of it, is it's not my house anymore. I will always have the memories of it, which are the most important, but I can't go and picture those memories whenever I'd like. I remember Darryl and I first driving into the neighboorhood and falling in love with it. Or sitting in the Wendy's trying to decide what floor plan to choose. Picking colors and light fixtures, flooring and kitchens. I remember moving in and feeling like we had nothing to put in the house and all those rooms or eating Swiss Chalet. My very best birthday party was the year after we moved in. I remember bringing Emma home and sleeping with her downstairs with her the first night while she had the smelliest gas. I remember the many holidays we had in that house. Making our first Thanksgiving dinner and the best pie I've ever had. Or the first Christmas Charlie Brown Tree and the angel Alexis made for the top, which had a twist tie for a halo. I remember Mom and Dad living with us, and Tammy, Pat, Matt and Shaun. Bringing Shaun home after he was born and the night he screamed like Pavorotti. I remember finding out I was pregnant and sitting on the stairs listening to Sarah McLachlan. I remember decorating Lucas's room or sitting in the backyard in the baby pool to keep cool, while I was so pregnant. I remember bringing Lucas home and setting up the nursing "station" where I would feed him, all the time. Lucas took his first steps in that hallway and jumped like a happy, crazy baby in the door way of the den.



Yesterday as I was cleaning the house I couldn't bring myself to clean off the marks we had made where we measured Lucas's height. The new family can get rid of them, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Goodbye house, I'm hoping you will be as good to the new people as you were to us.

Till Tomorrow

Jenn

3 comments:

Lesley said...

I don't have pregnancy hormones so I must be really emotional because I cried while reading your post...sigh...so many wonderful memories in your old house but many more wonderful memories to come in your new house.

Goofball said...

I always cry like hell when moving out somewhere, so it's not just pregnancy hormones. Letting go of a place that really felt like home is tough to do! I lived through it this winter as well.

But the memories stay, the happiness that you've experienced there does not go...and you start creating new memories.

Allie said...

Oh Jenn .... it is hard to leave a place that has created so many wonderful memories for you. I don't think that your pregnancy hormones has much to do with that. But, as you said, that house will provide a new family with beautiful moments such as yours.

On another note, I would love to see some of those VCUG photos!! I cracked up at the Dr. Jenn thing too - I think that is great! I will email you my home address so you can send it there as opposed to my hotmail address. I will send it to your gmail. Thanks!!