Tuesday, November 20, 2007

5 piece set

Moving is a good time to get rid of a lot of things you don't use anymore. When packing (or putting things away) I'm always questioning am I going to use this again. Or when was the last time I used this? Or does this still go with my "decor"? One of the things that doesn't go with my decor is one of the first dishes I ever bought, but these dishes have such a great story I don't think we'll ever get rid of them until I die. Here's the story:

When I first moved out west, I didn't have a lot. All of my belongings fit in a suitcase and two boxes. But was working, so slowly I would buy more and more stuff for the apartment. I remember debating one weekend, go skiing or buy a microwave?? One evening I went out with a friend to Eaton's who was going out of business at the time. At the time everything was on clearance and you couldn't return it. I was looking for some new dishes and they had some on sale. I bought a Pfaltzgraff set in green and blue.

If I recall correctly it was about 45 dollars. On the front of the box it was quoted as a 5 piece set. Well I was quite surprised when I got home to find out that I only had bought 5 dishes. I thought a 5 piece set would be 5 bowls, 5 plates, 5 mugs and 5 side plates. I thought 25 dishes on clearance would be 45$, not 5 dishes. Plus I couldn't return them. The problem with just starting out was that we didn't have a lot of money. So I couldn't go out and buy matching sets. I use to make pasta in my one pot pour it in the bowl, put the plate of top and then cook the sauce in the same pot. It's amazing that in 8 years I have accumulated SO much more stuff.

So now with all our brown dishes we have one set of these blue and green ones, that I just cannot throw out....

Till Tomorrow

Jenn

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

its hard if your a horder
ive also run out of energy :(

Ive got baby clothes and for some reason I dont want to get of them


crazy when I know I dont want to get preggy again

Lesley said...

What a fabulous story!

I can remember when Aaron and I moved into our first home - literally lawn chairs in the living room for the first while. Considering I was only 19 I didn't really care...we definitely became home bodies early on to use our money for household stuff like you did. Re: microwave versus skiing.

Goofball said...

ouch, those were expensive plates!

Alex Elliot said...

That's the truth! I try to "pretend" we're moving sometimes to try and get rid of things, but it just doesn't work.