Monday, November 12, 2007

Good to the Bone

Our best friend family was over for dinner last night and we all had a really great time. The boys played down stairs in the basement, while the adults got to visit upstairs. Tammy and I had spent the afternoon shopping, but we still managed to have lots to talk about. I was reminded about this story concerning one of her children and since I should have these blogs forever and ever, I thought I'd write it in here.

It has become a tradition since Matt was a little kid that I would take him out before Christmas and help him buy his parents and brother christmas presents. We usually treat ourselves to MacDonalds first and then do some shopping. One of the first years he had a pretty good idea of what to get his dad but not so much what to get his mom. After stopping at the toy section to buy his yonger brother a toy piano and then heading over to the electronics section to get his Dad a 50$ video game, we wandered around the store looking for something for his mother. At one point he says to me, remember those flowers we saw, I want to get her those. So I start to walk to the front of the store where I figure the poinsetta's are. No, Matt corrects me, he wants to go back to the craft section. So we head to the back of the Walmart and there he picks out 88 cent flowers for his mother for Christmas. So his brother got a 20$ piano, his dad a 50$ video game and his mother 88 cent flowers. But he knew they would all love their gifts, and how much each of them cost didn't really matter.

Till Tomorrow

Jenn

3 comments:

Lori Aitken said...

A classic tale of "it's the thought that counts"! We can all learn so much from children.

Too cute.

Thanks for the story.

Lesley said...

That is a beautiful story - I'm glad you shared it with us :o)

Goofball said...

well he understands what Christmas is about right? and we sometimes forget.

Very sweet story!