Sunday, November 11, 2007

Rememberance Day

I personally had a great remembrance day. Although other then wearing my poppy I did not do too much to "remember". So I thought I'd reflect about it a little on the blog today. For my generation, war is kind of sensationalize on TV. We see stories of it in the news and hear the heartbreaking stories of really young men dying in places we cannot even imagine. But I really feel like I have very little knowledge of what it is really like. I'm sure I will learn more as I grow more, but for the moment I'm not really sure, other then the sensationalized story I get from TV what it is like.

Although there are some real people I know who lived through wars. First off my Pop, my dad's dad. He fought in the second world war. Although I don't know a lot of the stories of what it was like I do remember the black shrapnel he had in his hands. Looking at those hands, knowing they must have gone through a lot. The second person that is close to me is my Opa. Who was a young boy when the second world war was happening. He lived in Holland when this was happening and he has told a few stories of what it was like to live there. He talks about being so hungry he would jump into a big vat of soup and lick out the insides to try and find more to eat. Or laying down in boats so that the Nazi's couldn't find them. Crazy to live through such things as these....

Although Remembrance Day seems kind of far away from me, it doesn't remind me to be greatful for all the things we have, most importantly freedom.

Till Tomorrow

Jenn

No comments: