Friday, October 19, 2007

Opinions: Need Some, Giving Some

So I'm looking for some help and would like to let you know about a couple of new great things.

First I would love to know people's opionions on financial advisors. Who do you invest with? Your bank, Edwards Jones, Fidelity Investments, Investors Group? Do you have any opionions about any of these? Most of the blogging financial websites I've found say to invest yourself, but I need someone nagging me to invest, I'm just not sure who to chose........ I would love to hear what everyone else does? We were thinking about going with Investors Group, but have run into someone who we didn't like, so I'm not sure what to do?

So now that I have solicted some advice from you here are a couple of things I ran into today that I love. First off this game. A neighboor bought it for Lucas and we have bought it for some else as well, but there are very few board games for toddlers and preschoolers that is not some sort of memory game. This game is great for learning shapes, ABC's, colors etc. Love it!



The second thing that I really like today was Bake Bread at Home. We bought ours from Superstore and it was delicious! Made the house smell great, had great taste and good crusty crust. =)

Enjoy your weekend.

Jenn

5 comments:

Alexis said...

Did it taste as good as Grandma's ?(OUR Grandma, not mom) Is it a loaf or can you make buns? remember those buns she used to make?? ahhhhhh good times

Lesley said...

Hmmm, I totally suck at investing and really don't have much interest in it so I use my bank - it's easiest.
Aaron uses a different bank than myself but a bank nonetheless. I think only because his company contributes or something.
My folks have said positive things about Investor's Group to us quite a few times so maybe they're worth looking into.

As for Cariboo - love love love it!!! I have it here at the dayhome and all the kids love it, I think I'll be buying the Balloon Lagoon for the next special occasion for the dayhome. I think it's the next age grouping in the Cranium collection.

Congrats on closing on your house - have a relaxing weekend!

Lori Aitken said...

Yes, there's nothing like that pre-authorized withdrawal coming out of your account every month to keep you on track with your investments. What I've learned over the last 15 years is this...it's great if you love your advisor but the chance of you having the same advisor throughout your life is slim to none.

Find 3 investment management companies (ie: Investors Group, Planmar, Dundee, etc...). There are tons to choose from. Go and meet with them. Have them show you which mutual fund companies they work with and what their plan would be for you. Get specific details on management fees, front or back-load fees, etc.

Then after reviewing, choose the company with the most solid history and performance record. A good company will have good average returns over the previous decades despite the ups and downs of the market.

Alberta said...

Do you really want to know what Les's mom thinks? What it all comes down to is TRUST. Get an adviser to whom you can talk plain english and get a plain english answer. They should talk to you about going long or short (term).

They should be available to take your call when some tragic happens..ie 9/11 when the bottom dropped out for many quarters and talk you through the hysteria.

They should know and understand what your goals are..not sell you something because it's the latest & greatest.

Go with your gut and only take on as much risk as you are prepared to lose. You do need to sleep at night, without worry.

Interview them before handing over your hard earned cash. Good luck

Anonymous said...

Regarding investments, I had to be able to ask questions, without being made feel foolish. I had to try to understand how the money grows, but I am not able to handle high risk investments. I cannot afford to lose yet. Our investers are Dundee Private Investors. Brian uses them too and they contact us sometimes twice a year for any tune up in our funds. A little invested regularly is better than none. Good Luck, Grammy