Thursday, October 04, 2007

NYC: Some interesting observations

We've only been here for 5 hours but here are some things we've noticed already:

1. The Jewish people. I don't know if this is common or not but I can't believe all the men walking around with yamaka's. Not sure if a holiday or just alot of Jewish people, but I'm not use to that living in Calgary.

2. We had an excellent meal. I will be tasting the garlic for the next day (doesn't that sound yummy dad). It was one of those meals you just had to finish even though you were full becuase your taste buds were willing you too.

3. We say a paddy police car driving backwards down the road.

4. There is a funny smell.

5. Lots of people here have dogs. I was really surprised at how many were out walking there dogs. Not just little dogs but big dogs too. Although people seem to pick up the poop, becuase I haven't seen any of that.

6. Garbage on the street. There is no "out back" for resturants, so alot of it goes in "cages" at the side of the street. Odd.

7. We had dinner outside tonight becuase it is so nice there (I hope all of you at home are enjoying the snow =). A guy came up to me and told me to move my bag off the chair beside me, that was closest to the sidewalk. I was a little skeptical at first, but he said someone could come and steal this as quick as anything. He was so right, but it was still a strange experience.

8. Building Up. Even car dealerships have cars piled upon cars. You can't expand out but up....

K i think that's all for now. There may be more tomorrow.

Enjoy your long weekend.

Jenn

5 comments:

Lori Aitken said...

Yes. New York City is unique, that's for sure. I went for a couple of days on a music trip in high school and it was definitely memorable.

Neat place to visit...wouldn't want to live there.

Goofball said...

oh cool, you are in NYC. I sooo want to visit that city one day as well. Sounds quite interesting :) although I wonder what you mean about the 'funny smell'.

About the Jewish: they might belong to the orthodox wing of the Jews. There are 3 cities in the world where most of the Chassidic jews live : Jerusalem, Antwerp (Belgium) and New York City (but also small groups in London, Montreal, Melbourne, ...). They are very visible since they dress according to the most strict Jewish rules. They are quite visible in Antwerp too and in our airport whenever there is a flight to New York, Jerusalem or Tel Aviv. Most jews practise more modern rules and as a result they merge more with the crowds as do probably all jews living in Calgary.

They live concentrated in some areas because this enables them to develop services according to their Torah laws (butchers, cloth makers, ....). In Antwerp you can do really interesting tours through the Jewish quarter. I can also recommend the movie "Left Luggage"!

Allie said...

Wow! Sounds like you are having a fabulous time so far!! I was thinking of taking a side trip over there when I am down in DC ... perhaps I will have to ensure that I do that!!

Continue to have a great time!! Did you bring the little man with you??

Anonymous said...

yum i like garlic

bless that man in number 7 how thoughtful

enjoy yourself

Anonymous said...

Actually my husband mentioned the increase garbage in the streets and bad roads. I blame BUSH and the war for no money in america. Anyway I always said NYC is like another country! It's the best!!