Monday, October 15, 2007

The Best Compliment

A couple of weekends ago I made an apple pie from the apple's on our tree in the backyard. I made this for my mom and dad. My dad is somewhat of an apple pie connoisseur, he eats it at many restaurants. I was not really out to to impress him, but just use up the apples we had. In the end my dad said it was THE BEST APPLE PIE HE'S EVER HAD. The best compliment... So I thought I'd share the recipe with the world. It's from my favorite recipie website: All Recipes.

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup water with a bit of vanilla (but totaling 1/4 c.)
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 8 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • Sprinkle of nutmeg
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
  2. Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work of crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
  3. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes, until apples are soft.
Pouring the liquid over top makes the top all toffee and chewy goodness. The best apple pie ever.

Till Tomorrow

Jenn




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

bless your dad

and

YUM!!!

Lori Aitken said...

Thanks! I don't bake pies very often but I'm a sucker for a good recipe. I'll have to give this one a try.

Lesley said...

I'll be printing this one for sure! Great idea to share it with everyone.

Anonymous said...

It is even better when she makes the pie and shares that with you
MMMMMMMMMMMM!

Goofball said...

oooh one of the books that you once recommended and that is since then on my to read list from Jodi Picoult and an Amish girl is now on tv in a movie! ...I had to think of you