Thursday, February 01, 2007

More News

Well about a month ago I talked about how I don't discuss the news very often, but I am going to discuss it here again.

Today while driving to work I heard the story about the parents in British Columbia who gave birth to sextplets at the beginning of January. These parents are Jehovah's Witness and do not believe in blood transfusion. The babies are not doing well and need blood to survive. In fact two of the childrne have died already. The goverenment has stepped in and have given 3 of the 4 surviving babies blood transfusion. Some resports are saying if the goverenment could have stepped in sooner the other babies could have survived as well. The parents are quite upset about the blood transfusion.

I find the whole story a little unbelivable. Ever since having my own child I have a very hard time understanding how any parent would not do whatever necessary to prevent something dangerous to happen to their children. Whether that's getting a blood transfusion or preventing them from hurting themselves. I can't imagine any parent leaving their children, unless they know it's the best thing for them. I can't imagine any parent beating their children. You love your kid so so so so so much. I would do whatever it would take to save my child's life. You need my kidney, a lung whatever, please take it. Neverless a blood transfusion which is so simple.

Although I have some spiritul beliefs, I can't imagine having so much faith in something it would prevent me from giving Lucas something that would save his life. Does anyone else have any experience with this? I am glad the government can step in during these extreme situations.

Till Tommorrow

Jenn

4 comments:

Lesley said...

I totally agree with you Jenn! I would do anything to save my babies and to protect them. I can't imagine standing beside them praying for a miracle when you could be giving them a cure with your blood.
Before she gave birth I read about them in the paper and it was leaked that they were JW . There was a lot of speculation as to whether or not the parents would allow the babes blood transfusions or not. I think that is why they've kept out of the spotlight with their births. They must have realized the morality of the situation.
Thank goodness the gov't was able to step in and try to allow the doctors to save the siblings.
Now I feel the need to go check on my own babies!

Anonymous said...

I remember crying hearing one of these sorts of stories years ago
Its not right that parents do this to their children
their children may not even grow up to have the same faith

I feel strange that these people shouldnt have had kids at all
but what I firmly believe is that some people shouldnt have kids or be anywhere near them

I have met some terrible men in my past and one in particular should never have been aloud anywhere near children :(

Anonymous said...

Anyone who knows me, knows that I have some pretty strong opinions against religion. I am a firm believer that religion is a huge cause of most of the tragedy and violence that occurs throughout the world each and every day and for centuries before us. If everyone could simply agree that regardless of a person's opinions or beliefs and colour or creed we are all equally entitled to live on this planet in peace and safety, then surely the incidents of war and genocide that repeat themselves over and over throughout history, present day and probably the future might not occur.

This baby story falls into the same category for me. Religion has taken away the right of two of these infants to live on this planet like all of the rest of us. Thank goodness for child protective services who've stepped in to enforce the remaining children's right to life saving medical attention.

Don't get me wrong...churches and their parishioners provide a sense of comfort, community and belonging for many people. They also go out of their way to provide for those less fortunate and that's of tremendous value. I just wish that as a bottom line, each religious group could set their individual practices or guidelines aside in situations where simple equality should be the only governing belief.

Whew...okay, I'm done my rant and I feel much better.

Lori

Allie said...

You know what has me confused? Were these babies a result of IVF treatment? If so, I thought that the JW's were against this procedure as it is perceived as selective pregnancy (where only the most viable embroyos are placed in the womb).

It is hard to understand their choice and I too would go to the ends of the earth to protect my children and ensure that they could have anything for a chance of survival.