Tuesday, February 27, 2007

E-mail

I love e-mail. I use it all the time. I feel weird if I don't check my e-mail at least once a day. Sometimes on Saturday I don't receive any e-mails and I find it to be a little sad. E-mail has done some great things. I have a better relationship with my dad because of it. When I first moved out west my dad and I use to send e-mails to each other to stay in contact. I remember the first one I got from him I wasn't sure who it was. He signed it with one of his nicknames and it took me a couple of reads to figure out it was my dad. From those e-mails we became very close. Also I can stay in great contact with lots of my friends who live far away. I even prefer e-mail to the phone, then people can respond when they are ready to rather then immediately. I'm sure it also has to do with my geekness as well. Yesterday I had to step out of my comfort zone and call someone I had never met before and ask them to do something for the students. I would have much prefered to e-mail it.


That being said someone sent me an e-mail recently that made me feel like the size of an ant. I'm sure they didn't do it on purpose but the exaggeration they put in the e-mail played on my insecurities and now I'm feeling like I need to do something to help my problem. What is my problem you ask? You all know..... I am a horrible writer. I think I can write from the heart but, I can not write a professional document if my life depended on it. Spelling, grammar just not my forte. My question is how does someone get better at writing professional documents? Is it practice makes perfect or are there just people who are born to care religiously about these things? I don't want to become a perfectionist, if I did there would be no blog, because I'm sure my posts would never be good enough. But I would like to become a better, more professional writer.

Till tomorrow

Jenn

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't let that person get you down. Writing a professional sounding letter isn't half as valuable as the writing that you do every day in the blog.
If you do feel that you need to master the concept of professional letter writing though, I'm sure there are either websites with good tips or certainly some books at the library or your local Chapters store that might help.

Chin up, kiddo!
Lori

Lesley said...

Sorry to hear that person got under your skin. I have never really noticed that you aren't a professional writer. It must be the awesome content and quality of your stories that you share that outrank the grammar protocol.
My mom suggested that Aaron read some GED books to brush up on his grammar/vocabulary before his exams.

Anonymous said...

Jenn,

Don't ever change who you are! I love reading what you write. Take me for example, I am not a very good writer but it's the content that counts. However, Mark is very very good at writting. I wish I can write like him. I asked him what I could do to make my writting better and he recommended reading a lot...books, novels, magazines etc. Hope this helps.

Ciao Bella,
Kristine

Anonymous said...

I like emailing and blogging rather than using the phone too never have liked phones

Rubbish I think youre a good writer
I enjoy your blog

a friend of mine has taken up a writers course that might be worth considering its helping herbut really I love reading what you write