Friday, November 17, 2006

My Job

Generally I try not to blog about work. I have been cautioned by the stories I read from dooce (who is speaking in my city today, but I didn't know so unfortunaly I am not going). But I had a question about it in one of the comments so I thought I'd talk about what I do and how mcuh I love it.

First and foremost I am an x-ray technologist. I spend most of my time working for the college in the city here visiting the students at all the different hospitals and clinic we work at. I watch them work to make sure they are on track and give them feedback on how they are doing. I really enjoying working at all the different sites. For example I would have alot of trouble working at the childrens hospital, but it is fun to spend a day there and hug little babies. Also working in trauma. Don't know if i could do it all the time, but it's fun to do for a day. One of the other big advantages is I know everyone. It's a fairly small field (about 1000 people in the city) so it's nice to have contacts everywhere.

I love being a teacher. I love watching the students blossom from not knowing anything about x-ray to being part of the community. I love passing on my knowledge and tricks and tips to them. I love learning from them. I love to help change and make an impact on their lives. It is a great job.

I do get to work on the floor without watching students once every couple of weeks which is nice as well. Usually this is with a geriatric population which is also fun. I often ask anyone I x-ray over 90 years old what's the secret to living so long. I get lots of funny answers, one day I'll post them all.

One of the great things about my job is that when I went back to work 3 months ago, I was able to go back part time. I have the best of both worlds, some working, but I still get to raise Lucas and spend more days a week with him then working. My job is also very flexible, which is perfect for a mom with young kids. Plus I get lots of vacation!

Till Monday (although stay tuned for the video of the weekend)

Jenn

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds interesting
one of Muzz's (my man's) neices is an x-ray technologist
its great that you only work full parttime
Id like to do that but when I go back to work next year Im going to support us and Muzz is going to be a housedad
have a good weekend my friend

Allie said...

Thanks Jenn! Your job sounds very rewarding!! :)

I envy that you are able to work part time and have that quality time with Lucas. If you see from previous posts, I often struggle with having to work full time and feel that I so often miss out on my son.

Soon I will get my wish though as #2 is on its way and it will allow me to have my wish of being at home to experience the innocence and fun of my children. :)