Monday, June 02, 2008

The Second Time Around

Tonight as I was rocking Nathan into sleepiness I was thinking about how much easier motherhood has been the second time around. I amazed at how going through it once makes it so much easier to do again. I would like to think of myself as a person who is pretty good at going with the flow, there are a few things that upset me, but generally I'm pretty even keeled. Whatever happens we'll deal with it. But when parenting Lucas I am much more concerned about doing the right thing, I research, seek advice and then make my decisions from there. Even if I know we are in a stage that will pass I still want to know everything about the stage and what I can do to benefit myself and Lucas the most in that stage. I know in my head that all things we go through with Lucas will pass, but in my heart I don't know when it will be done.

With Nathan I know that it will come to an end and approximately when and so I try to enjoy each thing rather then get frustrated if it is not going according to plan. For example rocking him to sleep. I remember with Lucas feeling like I was at the end of my rope, or will this ever end or I am going to be doing this forever. Where with Nathan I know that it will come to an end, probably sooner rather then later and in less then a year he will be going to sleep all on his own, with no help from anyone and in 2 years I won't be able to rock him to sleep. And with Lucas a year seemed so long, but it's really not. When I think about it all the things that have been challenging with the past 7 weeks are mostly things to do with Lucas not Nathan.

I'm sure this is why birth order has a lot to do with personality....

Till Tomorrow

Jenn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I know everything has an end with Robby - it doesn't feel so permanent, so hopeless almost. So much of it doesn't seem like a big deal because of that. Plus the fact that his older brother was so RIDICULOUS as a baby, so he seems so chill in comparison.