Sunday, March 02, 2008

Our Morning Guest

This morning we had a guest visit us for breakfast this morning. Generally we have always made something big for Sunday morning breakfast. For Christmas this year we got a waffle maker and our breakfast has been waffles since then. Of course we add berries, syrup and whip cream to that. This morning while we were having breakfast we spotted this bird on the deck.


My first question is does anyone know what kind of bird it is? We were calling it a hawk throughout breakfast, but if there are any bird experts out there, I'd love to know what type of bird it is.


The first time we moved to get the camera he flew away, but did come back and ended staying through most of breakfast. I'm not sure if you can tell but in the first picture I put out a piece of waffle, but he didn't take it at all. I think he was looking for something below the deck.

Anyway a cool sight to see,



Till Tomorrow

Jenn

8 comments:

Blog said...

Wow! Gorgeous bird! I have no idea what it is! Looks like it likes mice, though! Send him my way! ;)

Anonymous said...

It looks very similar to the hawk picture at this link. It looks like the one you had on the deck might be a young hawk.


http://thebirdguide.com/digiscoping/photos/IMG_1728_Coopers_Hawk.jpg

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

looks like a hawk to me
Jen

Goofball said...

oh wow, how fascinating! That is so awesome.

I don't know enough from birds, but the first thing that came to mind was that it was a young falcon... I think I label all prey birds easily a falcon :p as they do live in our neighbourhoods.

I have been googling and I can't tell a falcon from a hawk...don't know. what is most common around Calgary?

Lori Aitken said...

Hi there!

I couldn't help digging in for some research on this one. According to the specimens on the Alberta Birds of Prey website, you had a young female Merlin Falcon visit you. They're a little smaller than the Peregrine falcon and prefer to hunt from a perch (like your deck railing). Also nicknamed the "Pigeon Hawk" they survive by eating pigeons, doves and other small birds preferring to catch them in mid-flight.

Hope that helps solve the mystery!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.