Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Doctor's Appt

I have been fairly relaxed with this pregnancy. After the first 3 months, everything went so smoothly with Lucas that I expect the same type of thing this time around. Lucas was late, so I expect this one to be late. Labour was long with Lucas, I expected this one to be shorter, but still long. No 20 minute babies for me....

So at today's doctor's appt I was surprised to find out I am on the cusp of being anemic. For the baby it really means nothing. The baby will take whatever it needs, it just leaves me depleted. I went from a level of 36 (I have now idea what that number stands for) to 6. If it were down to 4 I would be anemic. So now I have to start taking iron pills. Normally this would be no big deal. Although taking pills is not my favorite thing, it's certainly not the worst thing in the world either, but (didn't you know there was going to be a but....) I'm already having enough trouble with being pregnant and constipation that this is only going to make it worse...

So at night I'll be taking iron pills and in the morning I'll be eating all bran to counteract it..... If anyone has any great recipes that are filled with fiber I'd love to hear them. How do you get enough fiber in your diet?

Till Tomorrow

Jenn

6 comments:

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

look after yourself Jenn
Jen

Lori Aitken said...

Hey Jenn,

This is our FAVOURITE muffin recipe. I promise, even though you hate whole wheat bread, you'll never know there's bran or wheat germ in these.

Wet Ingredients
2 eggs (well beaten)
1 c milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Dry Ingredients
1 3/4 c flour
5 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 c white sugar
1 1/4 c natural bran or wheat germ or a combination of both (it really doesn't matter)
1 c mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (big choco chips are okay too but the little ones don't sink to the bottom of the muffin mix)

Mix wet ingredients.
Mix first 4 dry ingredients, then add bran & choco chips.

Add wet ingredients to dry and stir just enough to mix. Don't over stir.

Bake 12-14 muffins at 375 F for 20-30 min (until a toothpick comes out clean)

ENJOY!

Love, Ian, Lori & Mackenzie

Goofball said...

eum...I'd think off really dark bread. Does oatmeal have enough fibres?


lots of fresh fruits are good against constipation as well, I suppose.

Take care!

Anonymous said...

Jenn: When I was preg. with Lori, I too was one who went three days between going, and as soon as I was put on iron, I was able to go every day. It was a miracle for me. Hope it will do the same for you and you won't have to resort to all kinds of ingenious ways to get moving. Although Prunes and Prune juice are natures little helpers and work like a charm, when used in moderation. Mom F.

Anonymous said...

I just took a pregnancy test at the doctor's today! Hmmmm...anyway that reminds me I better get some pregnancy vitamins and folic acid!!

Sheryl said...

I have to take those iron pills too. I'm not sure about yours, but the frustrating thing about mine is the list of all the foods I CAN'T take with it. Eggs, dairy, wheat, bread, the list goes on and on. Those are my pregnancy staples! I have a hard time finding something I want to eat to take the stupid pills.