Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Zoo Story

Recently Lucas and I headed for our monthly trip to the zoo. We almost always go in the morning because his schedule best suits that. It's also advantagous becuase the zoo is not as busy, but the animals seem to be quite active after there night of sleep. As we walked into the zoo we saw the tiger and it's new baby lounging and eating grass. It's amazed me at how much a baby tiger can be so similar to a kitten, a fraction of it's size.

Then we headed off to the elephants and saw one dancing. He'd take his his front paw and kick it over his other front paw and then switch. I was happy at how content he seemed to be dancing to the music in his head. Unfortunatly we did not get to see the baby elephant which is almost a month old now. It is still bonding with it's mother.

Next over to the rest of the African animals to see the hippo and girafees (my favorite), lions(who as usually were not very active) and zebra, who seemed to be racing each other back and forth over the plain/cage.

The funniest part of the zoo was in the gorilla building where two female gorillas were playing really close to the window. There must have been 10 kids watching them from their strollers, wagons and others (like Lucas) standing close to the window. All the sudden the one gorilla comes up and bangs both hands on the glass ( I take it she didn't like us all staring). All the kids start to scream and cry. Even I jumped. Poor Lucas did not want to see any more animals up close after that, he was happy to stand back an watch them, but there was no way he was going up to the glass after that. It is amazing how in the last couple of months he fears have really started.

Till Tomorrow

Jenn

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

poor Lucas
silly female gorilla

My Little Man is getting better but still shuts himself in his room when I vacuum

sari said...

I like gorillas but I can see how all the kids would've been scared!

Allie said...

I think that we are headed to the zoo today. I had heard that there is a lot of new additions to the Eurasia and African areas. Last time we were there, the Canada and Northern sections were filled to the brim with baby action.

Too bad about the gorilla scaring everyone - hopefully that experience doesn't turn Lucas off permanently from this fun excursion.

sari said...

I had to come back and tell you, we went to Toys R Us over the weekend and they have a giant giraffe as their mascot (Geoffrey).

Well Geoffrey was making an in-store appearance and I swear, every kid under about three would scream bloody murder whenever Geoffrey would walk up to them. Geoffrey was about 7 feet high and freaked every one of them out! It reminded me of your gorillas.