Thursday, September 20, 2007

Married Well

One of the things that I find endearing about people is when they have a good marriage. It's not that I won't be friends with people who are not married or who are not happy in their marriage, but for me to really connect with someone new I find they have to like being married. I say this because yesterday I was at the park with Lucas and there were two mothers there swinging there kids complaining about their husbands.

"It's like having another child"
"I'd never do it again"
"If I did do it again he'd have to be rich, so I could stay home and do nothing"
"I have to nag him and tell him what to do all the time"

I was amazed. I would never imply that my marriage is perfect. But it's something that both Darryl and I work hard to maintain. But I would marry him 100 times over if I could. He is not like another child but my partner in life. I think I would have lots of trouble being good friends with someone who felt that way about their significant other. I was even over reading a blog today, and find that I read blogs about people that have a good marriages. I think even subconsciously when I had Lesley watch Lucas one of the things I liked was that Lucas would see another example of a good relationship and Lucas often talks about Lesley's husband.

Till Tomorrow

Jenn

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about Mr Wonderful
hes my partner for and in life
we arent married yet but theres a very strong commitment from the both of us

sari said...

I'm always very thankful I married the man I did. He's a wonderful guy and a great dad. And it's almost our ten year anniverary! woohoo!

Jenna said...

I'd marry my husband over and over again, even knowing the things we have to work and what isn't exactly perfect. I would never say those things about him, and honestly, I don't think I could be friends with someone who just complained about their husband....

Lesley said...

Aw thanks Jenn! I do love Aaron and would marry him again if I could.
I would say most of my friends are happily married too!
I brought a girlfriend to Bunco one time and she was amazed that the ladies DON'T complain about their hubbies.
Obviously she's not in the happily married category.
Have a fabulous weekend!

Lesley said...

Aw, Aaron was happy to hear that Lucas mentions him. I don't think Aaron realizes how much the kids pay attention to him when he's around. It's like having a guest host on Regis & Kelly - you just want to watch to see what kind of stunts they're going to pull. LOL!

Allie said...

I know that there are many unhappy people out there in their marriages, but perhaps some of those comments are a way for one to vent some frustration. Now, it certainly isn't the way that I would go about it as it comes across as disrespectful. I have many girlfriends who shock me with their comments regarding their husbands and it comes across to me that they are unhappy. Yet it seems as soon as they get it off their chest, then they go on and on about the goodness of their husband as well. Rather confusing really.

I have been with my husband for 15 years now and while there were certainly growing pains and frustrations, never have we ever spoken to each other or about each other disrespectfully. We worked through the obstacles that life brought us but we always functioned as a team. We are each other's biggest cheerleaders and support each other in our individualities.

I treasure my husband and the solid relationship that we have. I couldn't have asked for anyone better to come into my life and to this day, firmly believe that we were meant to be.

Thanks for the post as it put a smile that wistful, dreamy smile on my face while coming up with a rebuttal.