Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Perks

I'm sure I've mentioned it on this blog before, but generally there are not alot of "perks" to working in healthcare. It's not like there are extravagant Christmas parties or summer picnics that are all payed for. No freebies, or free flights, really other then being able to have a barium enema the next day if one was ordered there are no real "perks".

Although sometimes when I am working, I can come up with a few. Today was one of them becuase we get free CPR training, but I'll get into that in more detail later. On a day to day basis I have a pretty good idea of how sick you need to be to go into a hospital. I hope to never spend some unnecessary time waiting in an emergency room. I know that if you can walk on your ankle it's probably not broken. Or if you have time to shave your knee, its probably a torn ligament and not a break. I also know that if your abdomen ever feels big and hard as a rock you probably have an obstruction. But if you haven't gone poo for 5 days and you have a tummy ache that you should probably take a laxative, not sit in emergency for 6 hours waiting to see a doctor, who will order and x-ray to prove yes, in fact that lack of pooping is a problem. I also know that for chest pain always go into see a doctor, especially if you are having trouble breathing. Experience has taught me a lot about emergencies.

As I said one of the other perks is free training on how to save people's lives. Sometimes I'm amazed that the hospitals pay for it because I've never had to give some chest compressions at the hospital. If they stop breathing I call a code and a bunch of experienced people come out of the walls (at least that's what it feels like they get there so fast) and take over. But they spend half a day with us each year reviewing CPR for an adult, child and infant. I consider this a perk because if I ever need to do full blown CPR it won't be in the hospital but on one of the my parents or grandparents. And we don't give people food or anything they could choke on in the hospital but I know exactly what to do if Lucas chokes on his lunch tomorrow. I do recommend everyone take an oppurtunity at least once in your life (if not once a year) to take a CPR course. Although I may not get free flights at least I'll get to take my dad on a flight if I ever need to save his life. I know that sounds mellow dramatic and I know that only 1% of the time does CPR "save" a persons life, but it does although there brain to continue to get O2 while paramedics come. As an optimist, I consider CPR training to be a real perk.

Till Tomorrow

Jenn

No comments: