Monday, June 11, 2007

Smiling Down on A Future Gambler

Tonight I made my Grandma (my dad's mom) smile down from heaven on Lucas and I. Mom and Dad often talk about Pop smiling down on Lucas when he eats a really good meal, but tonight it was Grandma. ( I hope this isn't too confusing, as we now call my parents Grandma and Pop, which was my dad's parents names). Anyway my grandma loved to play cards. She lived with us for about 4 years while I was a teenager and I would come home from school a many a days and she would be playing solitaire at the table. She taught me how to play all the classic card games, schools, canasta, bridge, euchre (or cats if there was only 3). Sometimes when she was teaching my sister and I a new game she'd only tell us half the rules and then make up, I mean, tell us the rest of the rules as we went along. Tonight Lucas found a deck of cards in the drawer of our coffee table. I shuffled them for him a couple of times and wondered what else I could do to entertain him, although he is smart, he is not smart enough to play any cards games yet. So instead I taught him all the symbols for the cards. At first we were calling them, but what they actually look like. Kites instead of diamonds, leaves instead of clubs. But quickly we moved to calling them their proper names. Now Lucas can identify hearts, spades and diamonds. He still has a bit of trouble with the "leaves", but I could see Grandma smiling down on us, as Lucas would proudly shout: "Hearts" "Diamonds".

Till Tomorrow

Jenn

PS The old house is up for sale.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wtg Lucas :)
when i was younger i use to wish i could have someone teach card games you Jenn were blessed to have your grandma

Anonymous said...

yeah grandma would be smiling, just as I am. Love you all