Monday, June 04, 2007

Parenting

On Friday Lucas and I went to the zoo. It was a crazy day to go to the zoo as there were hundreds of kids there for their year end trips. I'm sure there were lots of other mothers and their babies there as well as the weather was EXCELLENT. Usually we spend a couple of hours there, but our trip was short of Friday. While there we tried to hit all the hot spots that Lucas loves.

While heading over the the butterfly room we ran into my neighbor and a mother she was with. I mentioned that we were heading to the butterfly room and she whispered back at me, "Don't say that too loud, my daughter hasn't thought of that yet." Part of me understood, they keep the butterfly room quite hot and humid. It was already hot and humid outside, so it would be intensified, but I go to the zoo for Lucas I want to take him to all of his favorite things, no matter what the weather. Is that normal or does my son have me wrapped around his finger? Is it normal to want to "suffer" for your kids?

On our way home from the zoo, we laid on the grass and had ice cream. It was a great day.

Till Tomorrow

Jenn

4 comments:

Jenna said...

Why not let your children do things they want to do? I think you are a wonderful mother, and giving your children what they want (within reason) to make them happy is one of the best things you can do. And, why go to the zoo if not to see those things? It sounds like you had a wonderful day.

Lesley said...

I think the same way you do Jenn. Even while preg with Alex, if Joey wanted to see his efelants than my goodness we were going to see his efelants. The smell gagged me, but somedays just breathing clean air did it too so I figured I had nothing to lose really. I didn't want Joey to miss out because I was pregnant and I wanted him to get the most out of our one on one time because I knew soon enough he'd have to share me with a sibling.
Did that really make sense? In my head it does but I'm not sure if I'm explaining it well.

Anonymous said...

I believe in following childrens interests.
when i was learning to be a teacher i looked after an 18 month old and i took him with the older children to look at the trucks on a construction site. I took him becauyse he was interested in trucks.
I help with the youth group at church because its an interest of Billys
I take Daniel to playgroup because he loves it. I take him to look at the trucks down the road because hes interested in them I have also gotten books out of the library that line up with what his interests are.

so i dont think you are necessarily suffering because of Lucas interests. Nor do i think you are wrapped around this finger
what i believe you are doing is being a good mummy thats helping your boy to learn

we learn more by folloowing what interests us

what a lovely way to finish the trip

Allie said...

I don't think that Lucas has you wrapped around your finger if you see what pleases him. What is the purpose of going to the zoo if you don't go to see the things he loves?

Heck ... if that is the case, then I am completely doomed!! We go to Heritage Park twice a week just to have a ride on the horse wagon and steam train. Nothing else but those interest my son and it is worth every moment (including dealing with my daughter when she becomes fussy in the middle of one of those rides) just to see the pure joy in his face.