Saturday, January 02, 2010

Happy New Year..... I guess

I don't know what is wrong with me but I am not looking forward to 2010 at at all. Maybe because 2009 was so good, I'm not sure how 2010 can top it. I've read lots of things this morning about how people are looking forward to it and how it is going to be such a great year, but I just can't get on board. I'm skeptical and usually I'm so optimistic. We do have some nice vacations planned and the kids are at an awesome age and I plan on doing more triathalons, but I"m not sure that it can get better. It will be interesting in a year to read this and see how it all turned out.

As usual I have a look at the resolutions I made in 2009 and see how I did.

So now onto resolutions or things I would like to accomplish in 2009.

1. Do a sprint marathon. That should be this summer and I'm looking forward to it. I seem to have gotten a team of people together who are also interested in doing it, so I think it will be one of the highlights of the year.

This one can be checked off. I did it I loved it. Only Mom did it with me not the whole team, but I think we are doing it again this year. And it was one of the highlights of the year.

2. With the economy the way it is I have been thinking alot about money. I kind of do things backwards where I buy something large and then pay for it later. It's not a huge deal becuase we both make good money, so it gets paid off quickly. But with all this money talk around I'd like to get better at saving for the things I want before I buy them. Darryl and I would like to get some furinture for the house, and a new TV and maybe even a new washing machine. But I want to save for all of those things before purchasing them.

We did good with this for the first couple of months, we saved to buy our new TV. But then came summer and it was out the window. I was not very good at this. I am a spender and it is hard for me to not be a spender. I think it will add something similar to this for this years resolutions. I feel that this will be a constant thing I need to work on.

3. I will be heading back to work in 4 months so I hope to get some rhythm to our lives when that happens.

I think I can check this one off too. I feel like we got some good rhythm this year. It took Nathan a bit longer to catch on, but I think we all have it now.

4. More decorating in this house.

Last but not least I think we can check this one off too. Again it's a work in progress, but we did some last year.

Okay now here are some resolutions for 2010:

1. No pop.

Alexis inspired me with her no McDonald's in 2009 and I keep reading on the lulu lemon bag where we keep our recycling how bad it is for you. So no pop this year. Ice tea sure, but no coke or sprite or anything of the like.

2. Finish the basement.

This is kind of a Darryl and Jenn resolution. I couldn't do it without him, but I know he's on board with it as well.


3. The added one and the one I'm always working on, pay down the debt and save for things before buying them.

4. Take more pictures. Not sure if it's because it's the winter or what but I haven't been taking that many pictures over the last month. I need get back into it again. Maybe Lesley and I can take a photography close together. =)


Do you have any resolutions for this year?

Till Tomorrow

Jenn

7 comments:

Darryl said...

Jenn I'm sure you haven't but don't forget that this year we are going to Mexico, Florida, and Kelowna ... and where ever else we can. Love you and I'll try my best to help it be a great year.

Lori Aitken said...

I never try to top a previous year because eventually the task would become impossible to achieve (plus, with our trip to see you guys in 2009, 2010 could NEVER top 2009 for us).

I try to look at each year as it's own entity. Each year always has good parts and bad parts but when all is said and done, if we end up happy and healthy and have learned something new throughout the year...what more can I possibly hope for than that?

Just my thoughts...
Lori

Goofball said...

maybe you don't need to expect 2010 to be better than 2009. If 2009 was so good, a status quo would already be fantastic right? And even slightly less fantastic would still be a very good year?

does it help to consider 2010 like that? Just see it as a year full of opportunities?

Goofball said...

by the way, the no pop resolution is quite impressive. I'd not be able to do it!

Susan said...

I have been thinking about what I should do this year. I too was inspired by Alexis and her no MacDonald's. Way to go Alexis!!!!!
So I think that rather than saying I'm not going to do or have something I am going to start a new habit. So here goes. I am going to eat fish three times a week.

Lesley said...

I was not inspired to think about resolutions until reading all of your great comments Jenn :o)

Alexis did no McDonald's for a year? That's awesome! I'm not a huge fan of McDonald's so it would be easy for me to give that up. Wendy's on the other hand...

And your mom had a great idea of starting a new habit. I don't eat fish and therefore don't really know much about cooking fish. Aaron always chokes it down but I don't think he truly enjoys it. Easy recipes would be very welcome! We are going to have three meatless dinners a week in 2010. I have a feeling we'll be eating more grilled cheese sandwiches than ever before.

Let's pick a month for an Eating at Home Challenge. That was a great month and I'm sure we all saved some money :o)

2009 was a fantastic year and I'm optimistic that 2010 will be equally fabulous!

Jenna said...

Wow. The pop thing would be so hard. Not that I drink a lot of it, just crave it once in a while, but I totally give in to that craving.