Monday, July 28, 2008

Friendship Etiquette

Lucas and the boy next door have taken quite a liking to each other. It's great becuase when I first moved here most of the kids seemed too old for Lucas. Even though this kid is a couple of years older they get along really well. They have been playing together almost everyday for about a week now. I'm not sure what the proper parent etiquette is when kids are playing together. At times they'll play at his house (they live right next door). But I'm not sure I've I hang out over there as well, or stay in my own yard. Or what if he has a friend over, is it okay for Lucas to be there then? As long as they are outside?



What's your feeling, Lucas will be 3 in a couple of weeks. Do I leave him to play in the other kids yard, or do I hang out over there too. I don't want the mother to feel like she has to entertain me, but I also don't want her to feel like she has 3 kids rather then 2.

Are they any rules about playing at a friends for the parents? Is there a time limit for how long you leave your kid at another house?

Till Tomorrow

Jenn

6 comments:

Jenna said...

That's a great question.

Nice that it is just next door. If you feel comfortable, I would allow him to be over there without you, BUT I would check with the mother first and see if it is okay. I would then oblige and tell her that her son could come over to play in your yard as well.

Also, I love your new banner!

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

very nice he has a little playmate

I would ask and get to know the mother. Next time he comes over invite the mother over for a coffee. Hopefully shell invite you over sometime too and then you can offer to take Lucas back with you and she might say "oh hes alright"
Also when you have coffee tell her she can send Lucas home when shes had enough :)
Jen

Lesley said...

Love love love the banner - it shows off each of your personalities to a tee!

Yeah for Lucas having a new playmate!

I would just ask the mother if she minds if you run home for a bit or if she would rather the company. One hour is a good timeframe in my opinion for his age. but then again, it's just my opinion...

Jenn said...

Those are some good tips so far. My kids have neighbor friends like that too. It's the greatest!

Goofball said...

hmm tough question...why don't you alternate and ask the neighbour's kids to play in your yard now and then as well? Then sometimes you watch the kids, sometimes the neighbours did?

As a kid I always played on the street as a matter of fact....and our mothers only called when it was lunchtime. I think times have changed now.

Allie said...

If Kaelen has the neighborhood kids at our house, half the time I am outside watching and interacting. The other half, I have all of the windows opened so I can hear what is going on. I also check on them every 20 minutes or so, or if there is a period of silence because you know that something is up.

Kaelen doesn't really go over to anyone else's house because he is 3 - 4 years younger than the rest of them and I don't feel comfortable with him over at the other yards because the parents are never usually around.

If Kaelen were to go to another's, I would hope that the parents would be checking up on them and/or interacting with them.