Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Tell Me This Happens To You

I am feeling so confused on what to do with Lucas. I always want to do what's best for him. I think I have the ideal set up. I work 3 days a week, so I have 4 days a week home with Lucas. I think it's great for Lucas to learn from someone else and socialize with other kids his age. I'm not saying this is the best for everyone, but I thought it would be best for our family.

Lucas and I spent a great 6 weeks together over the summer. We travelled all over and spent time enjoying Calgary as well. I really did love my summer, but was happy to go back to work. I do really like my job. Lucas has not been taking well to being seperated from his mommy. He cried when I left him last week and he cried again today when I left him. Even when Darryl drops him off he screams and cries. He is always having a good time when I come and pick him up, so I know he does like it there, it just when I drop him off. His crying has also been happening when I put him down.

It's so hard when your kid cries and all you do is walk away. You know it's the best thing for your kid, but it squeezes your heart till your chest aches. It makes you question if you are doing your job as mother. Is it becuase I work, he's worried I won't come back or do I not work enough and he's too use to being with me. Does this happen to other mothers? Lucas is two, I didn't think it was suppose to last this long. Do I look for a job where I work evenings so that I don't have to go through this? Is this harder on me then on him? If I spend sometime there playing with him one day and bring him home will that make it better, or is that a step backwards? Please tell me your other two year olds go through this.....

Any other thoughts?

Jenn

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenn this is very common
for lots of kids some even 3 and 4 year olds

when I was training to be a preschool teacher and on teaching practise I saw a lot of it
what you have to remember is that about a minute after you leave they start playing really happily

you could tell the teacher how your feeling and ask that she spend a bit of time with Lucas when you go that will help both of you

if its any help Daniel does the same thing with Muzz (he doesnt live with us) but shortly after Muzz goes Daniel starts playing and is happy again

Allie said...

Yep: I think that it is normal. My son does it still and he will be 3 next week. But I do totally agree with you: when it happens and you walk away, your heart is breaking. You question everything about this situation and whether what you are doing is right or not.

I feel for you Jenn. But do take comfort in knowing that Lucas will likely be fine within a few minutes once he realizes that he will be okay and that there is other fun to be had.