Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Building the Wall Back Up

As a health care worker you have to distance yourself emtionally from your patients if you want to survive. When I teach this to my students I usually say you have to build a protective wall. If you don't have soem distance from your patients and what they are going through you would be upset and depressed all the time. Not saying you shouldn't be sympathetic, but if you let every patient effect you, any helathcare worker could do there job for a year and then be done. Only once as a student did my wall come crashing down, but that's another story for another time.

Generally I have a pretty good hold on my emtions, but my wall came crashing down last week. I was called up to x-ray a baby who had just been born. It was as white as a ghost and they didn't want to move them at all. I was composed and took films of the baby, but as I was packing up I could fell the tears welling up in my eyes. I stepped on the elevator to go back to my department and the tears came running down my cheeks. That poor baby, moreso that poor mother. I cried for that baby and that mother. I cried with happiness that my baby was okay and happy and healthly.

I hope that anyone reading this tells someone they love them today or give your kids a big hug. We are so lucky to have had a healthy babies.

I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to x-ray a sick baby again. I'm having to build my wall back up again.

Till Tommorrow

Jenn

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made me cry. You are so brave. I don't think I could have kept it together.

Take care,
Jenna

Kristine said...

Jenn,
That brought tears to my eyes. I can only imagine how hard it is for the Mom and the baby! I know I would have done the same thing you did...now that I have a son. You are such a strong person and such a great example to a lot of Mommies out there. We are lucky indeed to have such healthy children.
Kristine

Lesley said...

My boys are asleep already but I've got this uncontrollable urge to just go in and hold them.
You are a remarkable woman to be able to do your job, I'm sure I would have broke down right then and there! You are amazing!