Monday, July 31, 2006

Teletubbies


One of the joys of Lucas not being able to speak is that he cannot demand that I turn on the TV, or change the channel or that he wants to listen to his music not the Barenaked Ladies. Although I am sure there will be many years to come when he will demand all those things.

A couple of weekends ago Darryl commented on how much Lucas liked the Teletubbies. I have never put that show on for Lucas becuase I wasn't sure if I'd like it and for the moment he only gets to watch children's shows I can tolerate, Sesame Street for example. So on Saturday morning Lucas and I came downstairs and the usual Sesame Street was not on, so I decided to test Darryl's theory and see if Lucas liked teletubbies.

If you've never seen it Teletubbies is about 4 "aliens" who move around slowly and make weird sounds. There is a babies face that smiles and giggles in the sunshine and sometimes there tummies become little TV's that you may see a skit on. The show was bad. They played the same little video twice. They did count to 8 a bunch of times which was educational, but I had trouble tolerating it. Like one of the crazy aliens, I think the green one, spun around 8 times. Plus they all have weird names. I know some of the Sesame Street characters do as well, can't say I've ever heard of an Elmo before, but atlease most of the make sense i.e. Cookie Monster.

Lucas did like certain parts, although it did not keep his attention. Thank goodness for that. No more teletubbies while mommy is around. Long Live Sesame Steet

Till Tommorrow

Jenn

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Die teletubbies die! Esh

Anonymous said...

Jenn,

I couldn't agree more. The Teletubbies are horrendous! Since Lucas likes music so much, you might want to try Barney or The Wiggles. Both will probably drive you crazy eventually (there's nothing worse than catching yourself in the grocery store checkout line humming a Barney tune under your breath without even realizing you're doing it) but they are good shows for the kids. The Wiggles is predominantly musical children's entertainment but Barney has really good interaction between the children on the show and the dinosaur and many of the songs and skits have good lyrics and even better educational lessons that they're teaching.
As he gets a little bit older (1 1/2 to 2) you may find that Blue's Clues and Dora The Explorer are a good choice. Both teach simple skills like numbers, letters, finding clues, with simple little songs that are easy to learn and remember.

Have FUN!

Love,
Lori