Saturday, July 31, 2010

From Dirt to Dinner: Zuchinni


Zucchini grows really well up north (I think it grows quite well anywhere.) So over the summer we eat a lot of it. Last year I planted seeds and when they didn't seem to be coming up I also bought some plants. Well as luck would have it the seeds did come up so we had double the amount of zucchini. If this ever happens to you you can shred the zucchini and freeze it in small portions. Then throughout the winter put some of it in things you make, like spaghetti sauce or fritatta. Last year my mom even made zucchini crisp. Which was like apple crisp but she used a big zucchini rather then apple.

But our recipe for this week is kind of our smorgy recipe:



Cook some meat (I like chicken or shrimp)
Take vegtable from your garden. In our recipie we used zucchini and spinach from the garden.
Cook that all up with some garlic and oil (we like canola)

Add some pasta sauce and 1/2 of cheese (we had cheddar and paremesan)

Serve over pasta.



It's fantastic and healthy.

Till Tomorrow

Jenn

2 comments:

Goofball said...

I've just planted some pumpkin plants this weekend and next summer I want to add zucchinni for sure. it's just so exciting to grow some things in your own garden.

beth - total mom haircut said...

Love it. Recipes where you can just use what you have on hand to make it work just make me so happy:)))