Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Book Review: The Glass Castle

In the last couple of days I finished another one of the best books I've read in the last year. The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls. It is a memoir about her childhood and early 20's. It is an incredible story about surviving. Jeanette's parents do not provide for their 4 children, the father is an alcholic and the mother is an "excitement" addict. They lived all over the county in shacks and with family members. They never went on welfare even though they should have. One thing I really like about the book is that even though Jeanette, is living in poverty with parents who are not providing for her, the book is not written in a "poor me" style. She is not mad or holds a grudge against her parents. It is an easy to read book.



One of my favorite things about the book is that it makes me feel like a damn good mother. I love and provide well for my kids.

I highly recommend the book. Now I'm on to the Barbara Walters Autobiography. Have you read any great books this summer?

Till Tomorrow

Jenn

2 comments:

Lesley said...

I also felt like I was Supermom after reading that book! I just finished re-reading Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult, I found it somewhat disturbing like most of her books. The writing is great, that's why I own all of her books. It's the topics that I find disturbing. They really make me reflect on where I stand on a lot of touchy subjects. I did read Melissa Gilbert's biography which was quite good, Andrea lend it to me...I love book sharing!

Goofball said...

Hi Jenn, I've been reading A thousand splendig suns and a Change of heart as you can read here. http://goofballsworld.blogspot.com/2009/07/vacation-reading.html

since then I've finished David Eberhoffs (?) 19th wife.

Currently I'm reading Paolo Giordano's " La solitudine dei numeri primi" (don't know the used English translation). So far it's quite good but feels sad.


I'll have to write down this book. so far I've always liked your book suggestions :)