Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Book Review: The Help


I just finished a fantastic book. It's been a while since I've read a book that is so good I stay up late at night reading it. Where I wonder if I should watch the latest TV show or read the book.

Help is the story of 3 women in Mississippi, in the in 60's. One white women and two black maids "The Help". Each chapter is written from one of the women point of view. I really like have multiple narrators in a story. In the chapters that are narrated by the black women when they speak it is written just like you can imagine they would say it 'shoo nuff' and they use the word 'law' instead of damn.

The story line has a lot to do with civil rights and how life was for the black women working as maids for the white women and how poorly they were treated. I found that to be so interesting. Although I know racism is still around, I don't feel like I it's something I think about very much. It wasn't that long ago that it was so prevalent in our day to day life, especially in the southern states. It was a book that made me think and made me laugh.

It was so well written. I couldn't wait to finish but was so sad when it ended. The characters will stay with me for a while.

Till Tomorrow

Jenn

2 comments:

Goofball said...

Sounds very interesting, although I fear I'd have a bit of problems to understand the phonetic narrative vocabulary. I'll see if I can find it in Belgium

Susan said...

I thought it was great. I enjoyed the variety of the characters in the book and the way the author used language to help the reader differentiate the characters. It was wonderful.