Tuesday, January 05, 2016

New Year's Resolutions

I had some trouble coming up with good resolutions for the year.  There have been some things floating around in my head, but sometimes it's difficult to quantify.  Mostly this year I would like to work on relationships.  Of course I know this is the a huge resolution.  But it is something I want to work on.  Mostly with my kids.  But also with my husband and my family and my friends. 

I had a conversation with a hygienist last time I was at the dentist, which means it was mostly her talking and me listening, but she was talking about how she'd only ever want one child so that she would involved in their lives all the time.  She would be their playmate and adviser, she would be very active in their lives.  I mentioned how having two is great because they entertain each other.  While I still agree with my theory, it did make me think about how often I disengage with them while they play with each other.  It's funny cause when they are little you pray and hope for these days of self sufficiency and then when they get there you have to make the effort to spend the time with them.  So that is something I'm going to try to focus on more this year.  I find it more challenging as many of their interests are not things I enjoy doing, but maybe even being the room or encouraging them to do things I am interested in.   To make this goal a little easier to qualify and see if I accomplish it my plan is to take the family to a non chain restaurant where we get to try new food once a month. 

With Darryl I would like to plan more date nights.   I have a great husband and person to spend my life with.  He's a great dad and partner, but it's easy to get caught in the mundane of everyday life.  I would like to make more effort to do reconnect and do things together. 

We will see as the year goes on if I have more things I would like to work on, but reflecting over Christmas this is what I've been thinking about and would like to focus on.

I have been doing a regular yoga practice for a couple of years now so I want to continue with that.  Maybe work on doing more practicing at home.  Although I do love my studio.

We have a trip to Hawaii planned for this year and I'm heading to Halifax for a work conference, probably going to Kelowna this year too and maybe something else in the summer.  Plus it's Darryl's 40th birthday and our 15 year anniversary, so hopefully something fun for that.

What about the readers, any inspiring resolutions? Goals? Intents?

Jenn 

2 comments:

Lori Aitken said...

I've always been terrible with making and trying to keep resolutions. This year might be different though. I discovered a workbook to help me choose a single word to focus on this year. Here's the link: http://www.susannahconway.com/2015/12/were-coming-for-you-2016/
My word for 2016 is restore. I want to restore some of my old (but good) habits, restore some better movement in my body, restore some consistent routine, etc.

We'll see how I fare!

Goofball said...

sounds like an exciting year ahead! I wish you a lot of fun, 'engaged' moments with all persons that matter in your life.

I don't make resolutions. I guess resolutions as such are good but making them in January seems such an artificial point: if you realise that something can be improved or if you long for some changes, you should apply them right away and try to keep them up. So if I come up with good ideas around Christmas, why didn't I start them earlier? or maybe they weren't that important after all if I had to think about them.
In general I am a believer that happiness is in a well balanced life full of small things and that sometimes we shouldn't overthink things too much.