Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Lucas and the New Baby

One of the questions I'm often asked if Lucas is excited about the new baby. We do talk about the new baby often, be careful of mommy when horsing around or when changing bums we talk about when the baby poops it's going to be yellow.

For a while he was refering to the baby in his belly. But that seems to have subsided since my belly has gotten bigger. Plus now when I carry him he'll talk about how the baby kicks him, so I think it is becoming a little more clear.





That being said it is going to be such a shocker to him when that baby comes. He likes being the center of our attention. Sometimes if Darryl and I are talking he'll make noises to interupt us, or say "talk to me". Sometimes if Darryl goes in to him in the middle of the night if he cries, he'll say I want mommy.

I'm sure it will get better once the baby can smile and doesn't cry all the time, but for the first couple of months I don't know how it will be....

For any of you who have two kids how did you get over the initial hump of the first one not getting all the attention they are use to?

Till Tomorrow

Jenn

6 comments:

Our Home Schooler and Jen said...

try to make a bit of fuss of him
and let him know hes still special
let him help if he wants
Jen

Jenna said...

You'll need to try to make some one on one time for just you and Lucas. Take him out and spend some alone time with him. Also, you may want to have him give a "gift" to the new baby. That will make him feel extra special, like he is going to being the big brother and it is a very important job.

For us, it was a rough couple of days and quite an adjustment, but it all does come together pretty quickly and everyone does adjust.

Also, very cute pics of the two of you.

Lesley said...

Love the pics!

Joey was amazing when Alex was born. I had a c-section so had to stay at the hospital for a couple days which was probably more stressful than the arrival of his baby brother. When I came home Joey was super excited to see his baby.

It's natural to wonder and even worry a wee bit but I think Lucas will take a lot of pride in his new role!

Lori Aitken said...

Lucas is such a natural helper and takes instruction so well that I'm confident this won't be much of an issue.

Jenn, you're so good at making every situation fun, entertaining or even silly (if necessary) and so I think you'll shine at making Lucas laugh at all of the otherwise annoying and gross things that newborns do.

Plus, if he enjoys helping with all of the baby chores as much as he enjoys helping with laundry...you'll be all set!

Love,
Lori

Allie said...

Oh I just LOVE that picture of his head on your belly!! How precious!!

I was lucky with Kaelen. We had let him be involved with the pregnancy once we told him at about six months. We did things like let him pick out Masyn's name (we had narrowed it down to two), let him help decorate the baby's room (even though it was all of his old stuff) and when Masyn was born, there was a gift from her at the hospital for being her big brother. By the time Masyn arrived, he was so darn happy just to hold her and help take care of her. He was very excited for the whole experience and has been beyond super even to this day.

We haven't had any issues about sharing Mommy, but I also make a point when he wants cuddles and if Masyn is fussing (even when she was a newborn), to tell Masyn that it is Kaelen's turn and she would have to wait for a moment.

I think that both you and Lucas will handle the transition fabulously as communication is a strong gift in your relationship with him.

sari said...

I had a hard time adjusting to going from one to two. I think it was more me than my son, who was 3-1/2 at the time. It's hard to feel like you're properly giving attention to them both when you've only had one to shower all of your attention on, but you do figure it out. It helps if your husband can do things for a bit with the baby so you can spend time with Lucas, and a lot of people will be bringing presents for the baby so you might want to get a few (small!) gifts for Lucas too. I know this time when we had the baby, my two older boys were very good but it gets kind of hard when EVERYONE on earth is giving presents to the baby and they got nothing.

Good luck and you look great!